In this blog, we will see what is game testing and why game testing is different from Website/ Application testing.
What is Game Testing?
- Game Testing is a Software Testing Process for Quality Analysts.
- The Goal of a Game Testing Process is to identify and discover bugs; Defects in a video game, improve its performance & stability.
- They test the Graphics Performance, multiplayer UI & UX to ensure that games are interactive and fun for the players or not.
Things to keep in mind while Testing the Game
- Testing Games is far different from the comparison of Application testing. Game testing requires a systematic and Well-Organized method like Agile.
- Below are the major assets of Game Testing:
- Graphics Performance
- A Good mobile Game should always be running on all devices. For ensuring the Characteristics of the Game we should always check if the application is working properly on all the compatible devices. Apply the Load Test/ Stress Test method to ensure that game is running smoothly or not.
- Check the same game in different graphic settings like smooth, HD, UHD, Studio, and Reality.
- Multiplayer Game
- Multiplayer Gameplay is very common in all mobile games today. The Multiplayer gameplay testing process is to check Synchronization and Connectivity for a good multi-user experience.
- Multiplayer Game Testing is to determine if many players can simultaneously interact with the other user or not, with Stable and unstable connections.
- Performance & User Experience
- Testing game performance requires proper execution methods. It requires the execution of an efficient testing operation for user convenience. You need to check the game performance and user experience on real devices. The benefit of testing on a real device is to find the exact and proper outcome of a game.
- For better performance and User experience check the Ram Consumption, CPU Usage, Check FPS, Sensitivity, Smoothness, Graphic usage, Battery Consumption, Heating Issue, and Network Lag.
- Some services & elements are used as open-source elements in game development. So for security reasons need to check whether the user data is secured or not. For that, we need to add only the required device permission.
- Social Media Integration
- Social media integration is now available in most applications. While testing the social media integration check only whether the required data is sent or not.
- Check after social media login/ Signup whether the user data is secure or not.
- Check whether social media account merging is available or not. It means that the user has created an account via normal login/sign up and the user wants to merge their account via social media or not.
- Console Logs
- While working on game Testing you need to check the Game and Game Backend API responses. It will help to check whether the data send and received is correct & working properly or not.
Different Stages of Game Testing
- Alpha Testing
- Before Releasing the Game in a real environment check the entire game with all the positive and negative scenarios.
- Do proper Alpha test Every time before releasing the Game.
- After releasing the game check the game in a real environment, with the real-time users.
- Beta Testing
- After alpha testing is completed upload one Beta version of a game in a real environment for real users. And monitor the data in the system and capture the game logs. Also, check the beta version with real users. This method is considered pre-release testing.
- After successfully testing in the Alpha/ Beta releases, check the entire game again in an actual server with a real user. This method will help you to improve the game quality and performance.
Game Testing is a repetitive process every new build has some repetitive bugs. The risk of game testing is that it does not create a compelling experience for a target audience. Game testing needs Patience, Observation, and Mathematical skills for a better understanding of game behavior.