What is DBA? When we discuss large applications or ERPs the main headache is data and its maintenance. A Database Administrator (DBA) is a person who is responsible for directing, performing all tasks to maintain a successful database environment. Let’s explore more about DBAs.
As you know DBA stands for Database Administrator. DBA manages the database tasks and their operation to make successful applications. They put effort into giving surety to function database properly. Many companies hire database software specialists personnel which are called DBAs.
Importance of DBA:
When we discuss large applications, one needs to create a large and efficient database at that time DBAs come into the picture. DBA is responsible for managing and understanding the whole database. DBA takes care of all the things from developing to hosting like developing, managing, data storage access, uninterrupted access, etc.
In this modern ERA, data is increasing exponentially. When Data increases it slows the servers or operations. It will decrease the revenue and lose users if the application is not working properly. DBA keeps updated the database and logic of the large data so application owners do not face the issues and can earn as much as they can.
Types of DBA:
There are many types of DBA available. A popular type of DBA is general-purpose DBA, who implements all types of DBA work. Note that not each company has each type of DBAs. Let’s discuss some of the types.
- Architect of DB:
- This kind of DBA works on new database design and its implementation. The design mostly the new database for applications and rarely for existing applications like maintenance projects.
- Tasks performed by Architect of DB:
- Create a model for logical data
- Translate model in database designs
- Apply normalization and make an optimized database
- Backup and restore tasks implementation for the new database.
- System DBA:
- This kind of DBA mainly works on technical parts instead of business issues. It takes care of how the database is installed, configured, or modified.
- Tasks performed by System DBA:
- Install the new versions
- Fix the issues.
- Set and tune the system parameters
- Checks memory management for databases.
- Cloud DBA:
- Nowadays cloud databases are popular like Azure and AWS. Normally each new organization migrates its workloads to the cloud. To manage that cloud database like Azure and AWS, the cloud DBAs are required to manage the databases.
- Cloud DBA should have knowledge of cloud services and their providers. I.e. Backup, Security, implementing databases.
- Cloud DBA must have knowledge of cost management and fault avoidance.
- Application DBA:
- This kind of DBA mainly focuses on design and working database support. They are experts in writing and debugging very complex SQL queries, managing database requests in programs.
- Task-Based DBAs
- This kind of DBA works on specific tasks. They can help other types of DBA to perform some specific tasks and reduce the burden of General Purpose DBAs.
A DBA’s basic responsibilities are to ensure data availability, safe and secure from loss or corruption, and available as required. Let’s see some of the responsibilities.
- Install and Maintenance:
- First, we need the database tools like SQL Server, Oracle, etc. DBA has to first take care of Installation and configure the new database with tools.
- They can help us in doing modifications.
- DBA also helps to transfer data to new servers or new databases as required.
- Database Storage and Restore:
- DBA manages the backup and recovery schedules to be ready for any unwanted disaster. They follow the industry’s best ideas to preserve the database along with the data.
- Whenever any situation arises like server failure, they use the backups and recover the database as soon as possible.
- Safety and Security:
- DBA must be aware of the weak point of the database and try to reduce the risks. DBA makes sure how to secure the database is safe and secure from any kind of attack.
- Access and Authorization:
- DBA makes sure the access of database developers, there are certain operations like reading, write, update and delete. DBA provides the required access only to such developers in that manner that the database is not accessible to everyone without need.
- Data Handling:
- Nowadays images, documents, and video files are common on online portals and social media and increasing exponentially.
- There may be huge data with unstructured data types. To manage that kind of database required the top-level skilled DBA to handle the database.
- Put eyes on Database Activities:
- In maintaining the database, there are many issues that arise in ongoing applications. Some of the processes increase the query execution time and decrease the performance. DBA manages the database for that kind of issue and monitors performance regularly. If any additional hardware or software requirements are there then they update the same as per the requirement with minimal cost and time.
- Resolve Issues:
- DBAs are always active to track and resolve issues. They need to take care of issues, restore the data and minimize the damage. They need to give a quick response when this kind of problem occurs.
- Make sure data is secured and organized.
- To prevent the loss, make a regular backup and ready with restore tasks.
- Merge the Database when required.
- Make sure that the Database working properly without any issues
- Manage accessibility with devs of the db
- Manage database changes and database restructure when required.
- Create and manage database users.
DBA Interview Questions:
DBAs are the special persons who specifically work with the database and its implementation. Here is the list of some of the questions for the same:
- How many types of Database structures have you used?
- Why DBA?
- Share your Experience as a DBA.
- Share your technical skills regarding DBA.
- What challenges do you have faced in your DBA job experience?
- Which are the basic tasks or responsibilities of DBA?
- How do you take care recovery of the DB?
- What do you do to secure the database environment?
- Describe handling of cloud-related DB.
- What challenges do you face in a Cloud-Based Database?
- which databases have you worked with?
- What is your process issue resolution?
- What experience do you have with MSSQL, MySQL, Hadoop, etc.?
- Why is it a bad idea to run a query on a live database?
As we discussed, DBAs are the most important factor while you are building a large application. Every organization doesn’t hire the DBA specifically, in that case, backend developers take the case of the Database and its process. DBA reduces the load of developers, they take care of all of the stuff from A to Z of the database. It is a 3 to 5 minutes read blog that will help you to clear all the things regarding DBAs.
Share your points regarding DBAs in the comment section below. You can reach out to us for DBA requirements.
Share via social media