“Where innovation meets location, and the scope is infinite”.
Let’s assume a real-world use case. In this rapidly evolving world of mobile app development, technologies have opened a myriad of possibilities to enhance user experiences and provide context-aware services. On that basis, a groundbreaking innovation is “Geofencing.”
For instance a retail store has a mobile app and it utilizes geofencing. When a customer enters the store, the geofencing recognises it. As a result, when the customer enters, the app sends a push notification welcoming the customer. This also provides notifications to customers with a discount coupon that encourages immediate purchases. This app also allows additional offers to customers who spend more time inside the store.
In this digital age, geofencing has emerged as a powerful tool for businesses. And in this article, you will get an insight about the fundamentals of geofencing in app development which triggers the customer experience in business.
Explain Geofencing & How does it work?
Geofencing is a location-based tech that allows mobile apps and devices to set up virtual boundaries around the real world geographical areas. These virtual boundaries are termed to be geofences. These geofences are set up by defining the longitude and latitude coordinates which act like GPS, a tracking tech which locates as well as sends notifications.
Geofencing works mostly by using RFID, GPS, Cellular Data and Wi-fi to determine the location. This automatically triggers certain actions that are preprogrammed. From marketing campaigns to sending notification to the device of customers who are present in the geofenced areas.
Before we delve, about how geofencing works? Let me inform you that it is a herculean technology that leverages location-based technologies to increase the user experience across industries.
There are certain steps to how geofencing works.
- Implement geofencing setup – A digital map is taken into account for defining. The developers implement geofencing on that digital map. The specific longitude and latitude coordinates were assumed. The data collected from the geofences are stored in a database along with the notifications.
- Authority access – The smart apps require geofencing features from the customers or users to access their device location. Based on the preference, the customer can grant or deny the location. Once the customer allows for the location access, the smart app gains the necessary location data.
- Track the location – By using the technologies GPS, Cellular Data, Wi-Fi, the customers can track the location easily. Indeed the location data is essential for the smart mobile apps to detect whether the user’s device is inside or outside the geofenced areas.
- Detecting the geofencing – The device updates the location as soon as it moves. The smart app continuously checks the location against the stored geofences in its database. As soon as the customer enters, exits or dwelling around the geofenced area the app detects as the device location matches with the coordinates of geofence.
- Trigger action & monitor actions continuously – once the geofence event occurs this smart apo triggers the actions and sends relevant notification to the customers. The actions can be anything like welcoming, offering discounts and many more. As it is an ongoing process, this app continuously monitors the customer’s location and ensures accurate responses.
- Monitor battery efficiency – Circular geofences are usually more energy-efficient than the polygonal geofence due to their simple shape. This as a result allows more to optimize the battery condition. The techniques are used to reduce the frequency of location update or employ different levels of precision.
- Maintain privacy – The most important in geofencing is privacy control. Customers must be informed about how their data will be utilized and they should have the ability to enable and disable the location in settings. As geofencing tracks location, privacy consideration is crucial.
Benefits of Geofencing for Business
As the mobile phones grow rapidly so as the urge for geofencing in business. A powerful tool which engages the customers, provides personalized experience, optimizes marketing skills and drives foot traffic. By leveraging this technology, businesses can create an area of competitions and stay ahead in the evolving market. There are several benefits of geofencing for business.
Those are :
- Increased Customer Experience
- Increased foot traffic
- Target marketing & personalization
- Customer loyalty and retention
Who wouldn’t want to expand their business?
A technological world well furnished with a competitive edge in the market. The data stored in the mobile apps provides location-specific offers and experiences, which tend to attract more customers. Indeed, this data helps in making informed decisions, refine marketing strategies and improve the business performance.
Used Cases of Geofencing
There are many places where geofencing is used like Healthcare, education, retail dealers, transportation and many more.
Geofencing is used in smart home automation. Believable?
Yes, this location-based tech is used to automate tasks in smart homes. From turning on the lights to turning off the fans, from locking the doors to adjusting the thermostat, from starting the coffee maker to playing music, geofencing is utilized properly in daily life. When you enter your home and suddenly the lights are turned on with fans, ain’t that sweet and breeze felt?
You can even adjust the temperature of your room accordingly either by increasing or decreasing.
There’s a great way to start your day off right. Imagine being served a cup of tea or coffee as soon as you wake up. Ain’t that scrumptious? Digging into another superb feature. The doors get automatically locked if you are 100-150m away from your home. And in this way you can increase your security.
As technology advances, geofencing plays an essential role as an indispensable partner in shaping the futuristic growth in business. By fully embracing the potential of revolutionary technology, businesses can elevate tailored experiences for their customers. This leads to gaining an advantage in the competitive market.
By tapping into the potential of transformative technology, you can enjoy a strong and secure foothold place. And if you are keen on building a smart home, consulting an app development company would be a wise and perfect choice.
1. How effective is Geofencing marketing?
Geofencing marketing is a highly operative way to engage and reach with your target audience.
It can be used to :
- Boost traffic to your store
- Boost traffic to your social media channels
- Boost traffic to your website
2. Can geofencing be integrated with other marketing strategies to enhance customer experience further?
Yes, Geofencing can be integrated with other marketing strategies like
- Social media marketing
- Push notifications
- Email marketing
This can create personalized and cohesive journeys of customers by amplifying the impact of marketing efforts and delivering a seamless experience.
3. Is geofencing limited to smarthomes, or can it be applied to other devices?
Geofencing is not limited to smarthomes. It can be applied to various devices like:
which can be accessed using the GPS and RFID capabilities. Therefore, this flexibility allows the business to reach their audience through multiple devices and deliver a smooth experience.
Share via social media