Introduction to Project Tiny
Tiny Unity is the package, which helps to build the small 2D Web Games, Social Applications Games, and Playable Ads easily and rapidly. This package is new runtime, modular design and using Pure ECS (Entity Component System) data-oriented approach as it leverages the C# job System and Burst Compiler, which helps to maximize the rendering of the content at runtime. Tiny Unity Package reduces the build size, so the user can load and play the game instantly on their device.
As of now, Project Tiny is using typescript to write the game logic, but once its support is ready, it will be replaced with C# to write the game logic, which will make the code size even smaller and provides the better and improved performance along with the better debugging experience.
So basically, the Project tiny makes the unity assets and game size compressed & smaller and increases the rendering speed of the games in Playable Ads, Games in messaging Apps. So the user can play the games without downloading and installing the games easily.
Benefits of using Tiny Unity Package
There are many benefits of Tiny Unity package such as:
- We can maximize the download/loading speed of the game.
- To optimize the games build size and loading the unity game in a web browser can be lower down to avoid the delay in rendering and playing the game.
For example, in the devices like iPhone 6s, the loading time of the web games is around 350 m/s to 600 m/s. While using Tiny Unity, the rendering of the web games can be three to four times faster (even when the internet connection is low) than the WebGL games due to its smaller build size like 100kb to 5mb.
- Tiny Unity is used to optimize the ECS approach by making it simpler. It introduces prefabs to ECS. Prefabs are used as the Core Component while making new instances in the project. If the developer wants to do any change in the project, then the developer can only edit in the prefab and it will automatically reflect in all the instances or the developer can make the independent change in all the instances as per the need.
- It supports 2D HTML 5 targets, 2D WebGL and Canvas for rendering targets.
- There is more flexibility in development as its content can be embedded in Web App, Android App, iOS App, Native App.
- Tiny unity supports the existing art assets, but it does not support the existing code. The developer will have to make some modifications in the existing code, as it uses the ECS approach.
- Project Tiny provides the solid performance as it decreases the build size and loading time.
- It provides the better editor experience as it allows the developer to pick which functionalities they want to include.
How to Get Started with Project Tiny?
Steps to Install Project Tiny:
- Open Unity 2018.3 Package Manager
- Simply open the Windows -> Package Manager
- You need to install Tiny Mode Package
- If Tiny Mode package is not available then click advance -> Preview Packages
- Now Install Tiny Mode package from the Package Manager into the project
- Now you can see Tiny Menu in the Menu bar
- Now you can create the tiny project or import the tiny samples and start working
So, this is just an introduction part of project tiny package in unity. Stay Tuned for a more advanced post on a similar topic.