Storytelling in Casual Games is the link that emotionally catapults and keeps looping-in the users. Emotional and social connection is resulting as a massive step-up in modeling ideas and emotions in games. The powering hook accelerates the importance of storytelling in casual games via Visual Game Storytelling Techniques and Mediums.
From dopamine rushes, anxiety escapes, play to learn and the giant play to earn. Casual games are holistically ruling the hearts. And, considering the badge of best storytelling mediums, casual games are popularly topping the charts for decades now. Even the experts and psychologists claim that emotional connection and cognitive processing is like Yin to Yang, as visual game storytelling techniques.
So, let’s explore what are casual games with storytelling? And, everything about it.
- What is Storytelling in Casual Games?
- Importance of Storytelling in Casual Games- Unboxed
- Emotional Connection: Visual Game Storytelling Techniques
- Social Connection & Visual Game Storytelling Techniques
- Virtual World & Character Development
- Cognitive Connection & Monetization
- Are Casual Games the Best Storytelling Mediums?
What is Storytelling in Casual Games?
Games have been dominating since time immemorial. And, the introduction of video games hailed in as a buzz and resulted to be a star of the discipline. But, casual games are a no-brainer.
So What are Casual Games? Let us whip up an explanation for you. ‘ Bite-sized enthralling game space that you tap into while you are dreading through your weekdays.’ (And, maybe binge-dive in it during the weekends). (A shot of dopamine)
Within the entire pool of game genres, casual games are downtime delights and quick-stress-busters for on-the-go gamers. But, the super-heroic inclusion compliments the importance of storytelling in casual games. It adds a cherry to this cake (we mean the casual games) as one of the visual game storytelling techniques.
Imagine This: You are on a virtual landscape adventure, and there are a few levels to unlock and bag prizes. But, for each level the steps are the same and you need to follow that boring framework. Now cut to.
Now Imagine This: You are on a digital adventure, with new levels to unlock. But, you have some exciting picks while you’re on the journey to unlock another level or solve some mysteries with some hints and immersive features that catapults you into an imaginary world. A space where you get to interact and follow NPC or maybe build your own castle and defense army and win a war. Brilliant right? Now, this is storytelling in casual games.
We know what storytelling is for casual games. In short Casual Games are to be storytelling mediums. But, we might as well dig a little deeper and unravel how significant it is.
Importance of Storytelling in Casual Games- Unboxed
Games are eclectic. It is everything fun and exciting. But, having the same gameplay framework, characters, levels and basically everything anticipative. Now, this would be a huge turn-off, right?
Factually, Persuasion is the key. And, if tapped into the Neuroscientific space; human brains are hardwired to grasp new information. Also, if we take into account the Cognitive Development part, there is no way around but to pull up an exciting, curiosity accelerating, adventurous and story driven theme which keeps the users dopamine levels high. And, lend them an immersive pool of stages and levels.
In toto, to spice up the casual games and make it hooking for the users. Wanting them to tap into during commutes or in-between a 5-minutes break, again and again. The only secret sauce is to infuse your casual games with a story. Turn them into stellar storytelling mediums.
Quick-Tip: Add that dollop of curiosity, winning treats and storyline in your casual games, that keeps users at it.
Well, that was a secret sauce that we shared with you. Perhaps, that’s not all. You also need to decode and crack its significance factor via these points.
Emotional Connection: Visual Game Storytelling Techniques
- How many times have you found relating to someone or some event that would have taken place with someone else? Difficult to keep a count right?
- It is a fact that we humans are wired to connect with each-other via some stories. It is very natural for humans to connect on emotions. And, emotions spring out of stories. Which makes casual games the best storytelling mediums.
- By infusing emotional connect in the casual games, the users are charged with a power to feel the game.
- For Example: you can have a casual game where you are unlocking gems in a fort or are playing a detective.
Social Connection & Visual Game Storytelling Techniques
- Playing solo is such a down-turn. And, an even bigger one when gamification is overturned as a realm.
- Now, you have an entire story themed video game. A virtual space where you have non-player characters to compliment the game and storyline. Plus, you have an option to connect with your fellow players or friends and play together.
- This brings you to have an entire clan of gamers. And, you can share winning strategies, gaming tactics and bag in thrill collectively.
Virtual World & Character Development
- Visual game storytelling techniques include a lot. Although, at the core of casual games as best storytelling mediums are the characters and digital world building.
- In-game characters add that extra layer of feel and gives an extended connection to the players. It thickens the connection between the players and the game.
- Furthermore, building a virtual world on the given storyline in casual games is yet another feature that compliments casual games experience for the users.
- What we are trying to bring you at is: building a digital world in the game and adding virtual treats improves the entire experience. Mainly it thickens the connection and thrill.
Cognitive Connection & Monetization
- Storytelling in casual games is not just a perky-pie for the players. The game app owners like you have big pie-pieces too.
- Just like players have exciting and intriguing surreal levels to tap into. The casual game app owners have it too in the form of story-powered in-app purchases, premium level unlocking charges. Also, they can charge for in-app advertisements. A monetization pie for you right there.
It is beyond the cognitive development factors that games were once staged on. The importance of storytelling in casual games is potentially catering to a plethora of key factors that the modern-age players root for.
Besides that, ‘The Golden Rule- A Good Story is the Best Hook’ remains up-float with regards to casual games too.
Moving Ahead: Do you know how casual games ushered up to be one of the best storytelling mediums? Was it the visual game storytelling techniques? If not, dig into the section below.
Are Casual Games the Best Storytelling Mediums?
Well, video games as storytelling mediums may not be the first of its kind. But, it surely set its footing quite firmly. Moreso, it will not be an overstatement to say that it surpassed the reliance of almost all the best storytelling mediums.
We know that storytelling had its foundation through books. But, in context to games. It all started with text-based thrills, where the players connected via text commands. And, then came the pixel art area, where a little dash of pixel creatives were panned out in games like Super Mario.
Then came the RPGs and it was not much later that the 3D graphics were infused in the games. More like the immersive step-in of the storytelling world hit the throttle from here. Further, goes the inclusion of narratives, emotional content and everything that makes Casual games the best storytelling mediums that they are currently. (Arguably, maybe?)
Having said that: There are many types of storytelling that goes underneath the casual games. Let us list it out for you and it goes like linear, non-linear, cinematic, telltales, VR infused and implicit and explicit. We will not get into the nitty gritty of all these but Implicit and explicit for you to mark the difference.
Where explicit is quite straightforward and leaded as in it leads you with cues and instructions throughout the game. Whereas implicit is intriguing and more like unraveling via narratives. You find out while you unlock levels in the games.
To Wrap up
Video games, casual games or casual games with storytelling are all set to reign in at full capacity. Whereas the data on video games, mainly the global revenue market size, estimates to climb the apex and reach a high of USD 583.69 billion by 2030. It’s about time to get customized your casual games with storytelling by connecting with a dynamic mobile game development company. This is nothing less than a golden opportunity to leap on. Because the importance of storytelling in casual games is not going to tone down.